WHAT I WAS DOING…
10 years ago — I was married to Renegade’s dad. We lived in Rock Falls IL (population 9,580), and I worked as the Special Sections Editor for the Daily Gazette in Sterling IL. Among other things, I was responsible for the paper’s Today’s Farms section, which involved choosing a “Farmer of the Month” — one month it was a hog farmer, and the smell was so horrendous I threw away the clothes I’d worn there and it took at least a dozen showers to get it out of my nose. I alternated between driving a 1989 Jeep Wrangler lifted and on 35″ tires and a 1995 Chevy Suburban, and I had a perm. I was not very happy.
5 years ago — The Philosopher and I were still together, living in a house in a subdivision in Woodridge IL. I was finishing up my BA, and had just been accepted to graduate school in the MA program for Language, Literacy, and Rhetoric at UIC. I drove a 1999 Ford Mustang, worked as an SAT/ACT tutor, had abandoned my blonde hair for magenta highlights, and wore twin sweater-sets with khaki pants. I was still not very happy.
1 year ago — The Narcissist and I had just started dating, I’d just returned from one of my regular jaunts to NYC, and I was still reeling/heartbroken from/over the kerfluffle with Mr. Big at The Spot after the Pete Yorn show. I had blue hair and loved my Christopher Blue “Lloyd ” jeans, which I often wore with my hot pink patent leather stilettos. I hadn’t yet figured out that living on the edge of everything wasn’t a sign of happiness but, instead, dysfunction.
Yesterday — Was wonderful. I went to a meeting, then picked up Rebel and took him to Wicker Park for a writing workshop, and I spent a couple of hours hanging out in the ‘hood, browsing in the stores (especially Reckless Records) and eating at Earwax. Even though the Eyebrow Nazi is in Wicker Park, it’s been months since I’ve actually wandered around there, and it was fulfilling to see how different of an experience it was, going to a familiar place as an unfamiliar person. I had on my Spanish print sundress, my green sweater, my denim jacket, and my knee-high boots (and tights) and my hair was, well, I suppose it’s magenta and purple and blue in a nice neat swirly burst of colorful joy. I am not only happy, I am content.
FIVE SNACKS I ENJOY
- Whole wheat pretzel sticks
- Kettle corn
- Pretzel thins from Trader Joe’s
- Mini samosas with mango chutney
FIVE BOOKS I LIKE
- Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs (Chuck Klosterman)
- Choke (Chuck Palahniuk)
- Traveling Mercies (Anne Lamott)
- The Gold Cell (Sharon Olds)
- The Sexual Politics of Meat (Carol J. Adams)
WHAT I WOULD DO WITH $100,000,000
- Get completely out of debt
- Buy a house in Lincoln Square
- Buy a house south of Broad in Charleston
- Buy a loft on the LES of Manhattan
- Buy property in the Hill Country of Texas
- Set up college funds for the boys
- Quit my job and focus on my writing
FIVE PLACES I’D LOVE TO VISIT
- Lucca, Italy
- Heydon, Norfolk, England
- Paris, France
FIVE PET PEEVES
- People with no respect for others’ personal space
- The gradual abandonment of the subjunctive
- Use of the singular “they”
- People who stand on the left side of the escalator
- My children saying “whatevs”
FIVE BAD HABITS
- I often forget to wash my face before bed.
- I frequently wait until I’m forced to go commando to do laundry.
- I leave garbage all over the place: slips of paper, wrappers, etc.
- I twirl my hair. A lot.
- I leave CDs out of the cases.
FIVE THINGS I LIKE DOING
- Exploring city neighborhoods.
- Going thrift shopping.
- Sleeping in while cuddling.
- Spending the afternoon at the spa.
- Seeing live music in intimate venues.
FIVE THINGS I WOULD NEVER WEAR
- Mom jeans
- Clunky heels
- Tie dye
- Floor-length skirts
FIVE TV SHOWS I LIKE
- America’s Next Top Model
- Criminal Minds
- Celebrity Rehab
- Look Good Naked
FIVE MOVIES I LIKE
- All the Real Girls
- 2 Days in Paris
- Stranger Than Fiction
- I Heart Huckabees
FIVE FAMOUS PEOPLE I’D LIKE TO MEET
- Anne Lamott
- Sherman Alexie
- Chuck Klosterman
- David Mamet
- Aaron Sorkin
I’m supposed to tag people, but I don’t much enjoy playing tag, so if you want to do this, please do, and let me know. 🙂