As if the 101 in 1,001 project weren’t enough… here’s my 40 by 40 list, starting the day I turned 38, which gives me two whole years to get it done. Some of it overlaps with the other list… but most of it doesn’t.
Get a chest tattoo.
- Audition for a play.
- Start a reading series.
- Adopt a dog.
- Sell everything I own (except truly meaningful things).
Start over in a new apartment. Make sure that apartment has a formal dining room.
- Save 5% of my net income.
- Fall in love.
- Finish one of my books.
- Get that book published.
- Finish the Hayden Family Cookbook project.
- Get that cookbook published.
- Re-instate Whim Days with the boys.
- Go on a mid-week vacation by myself.
- Travel to Europe.
Take a trapeze class.
- Hire a cleaning service.
- Go on a road trip with the boys during holiday break.
- Take an Introduction to Judaism class.
- Do the Eat to Live plan for 30 days (at least).
Grow my hair to the small of my back. Cut my hair to shoulder-length.
- Donate my hair to charity.
- Try bangs one more time.
See Wilco live (at least once).
- Buy a decent camera.
- Do something that absolutely terrifies me (e.g., go to a Haunted House).
Try speed-dating again.
- Wear red lipstick every day for a week.
- Get back into rape crisis volunteer work.
- Get on the board of a non-profit organization.
- Scavenger Hunt Day with the boys.
- Buy a new stereo system, including speakers and a turntable.
- Finish making my amends.
- Hire a laundry service.
- Become a “regular” at a salon.
Discard or donate all shoes I don’t really like and don’t ever wear, even if they were expensive.
- Discard, donate or sell all non-original artwork in my home.
- Reframe all of the original artwork in my home.